I love history, art and old-world architecture. So naturally coming here was a dream come true.
The Louvre is massive and hoping to see everything in one day is near to impossible. We bought a two-day pass, but still we mapped out the main pieces we wanted to see so that we could utilize our time well. Here were some of our favorites (this isn't in an specific order by the way):
1. Touring Napoleon III Apartment- furniture, chandelier, wall paper and fabrics, and flooring are all original.
2. Statue of Venus- photo to the left...
3. Mona Lisa - it's definitely smaller than you think and always crowded, but it's well worth the look.
4. Crown Jewels and ancient jewelery found with the ancient Greek and Roman artifacts.
5. All the sculptures, especially in the gorgeous halls shown below.
6. Renaissance paintings
7. The architecture of the Louvre itself is breathtaking, it's dirty on the outside and always in need of repairs, but altogether is detailed and magnificent. Also the Pyramids are quite a piece of art themselves.
8. The wedding feast of Cana
9. Vermeer's paintings- The Astronomer and The Lacemaker
10. Jardins del Tuileries- Just outside of the Louvre is the most beautiful garden/park with fountains and dirt walk ways. They have french tables and chairs you can eat lunch, read a book, or just sit and enjoy a moment getting fresh air. It's perfect.
11. Eat lunch at the Cafe that overlooks the Pyramids, sit on the porch and enjoy the view. Of course a bit pricey, but you'll feel like your in another century.
12. Napoleon crowing Josephine- this painting is massive, gorgeous, and portrays it's own historical story.